Sunday, July 31, 2011

"What is .... in Spanish mommy", Mira una niña rubio and other stories...

Funny enough, I predicated this week perfectly!  I didn't get out to see any more schools or look at to many more apartments but I did do  a lot of networking that really helped me understand the wholeness of the situation.  I am still holding out for the nice apartment in the hills, but, but...so I'm looking some more tomorrow.  


We all continue to learn our spanish as we struggle everyday to find the right words.  Trifon certainly enjoys asking what this or that means in his new language.  I spent 15 minutes trying to describe a bird to Senora Irma in english with funny sign language and all (yes imagine a 33 year old woman flipping around tweeting like a bird) before she finally realized I was talking about a "el Parajo" and not a "el arbol" or tree.  The things I do for my children.




The biggest adventure of my week is that my mother came Wednesday!  I've been running her around, re-doing some of the things that we love (like El Parque 93) and some new adventures to put in our bag, like the Salt Cathedral in Zipaquirá.  Either way we still love it here!  

 




The salt cathedral was amazing and it seems to always be a highlight of any visit to Colombia.  Included are a few pictures, and Trifon really enjoyed 'licking' the walls to taste the salt and getting to actually mine some of it!  We ate a truly typical Colombian restaurant with our driver (he is such a lifesaver).  You can see in the pictures the general lack of food safety but also of the obvious deliciousness that is the food here!








This last picture is been probably the other story of the week.  Georgia has been a star here.  Some one told me that (and I do believe it by my own observation) Colombia is a very homogenous society; dark hair and dark skin and dark eyes are prevalent.  So missy with her blonde blonde hair and bright large blue eyes gathers attention where ever she goes! 

I dragged my mom to the Science and Technology Museum.  It is a GREAT facility, but it is a general beating with sooooo many young children around.  Either way, Trifon really enjoyed it.  He figured out his brain is in his head, he got to go on a dinosaur dig and learn about electricity!  He LOVED it.  Georgia on the other hand got MOBBED by school aged Colombian children.  They were just fascinated by her hair color and other things (like us being Americans).  



It is an amazing place and it is our home.  It is remarkable the miracles that have happened here for our family.  The hotel, that takes our cats, only a few blocks away from the church.  My friend Jane only a few blocks away from me, also introduced me to the gym that Trifon goes to 4 days a week.  Every thing is with in easy walking distance and I am not alone at all.  God is great and I should not worry about any thing.  Just as my children scream for their milk even though I know I am going to give them a vanilla milk shake instead...that is what God has done for me.  



Love you all!  

No comments:

Post a Comment