Saturday, July 9, 2011

A week and a day-

Hello all!
We have been here a week and a day now and this is our 2nd official Saturday here.  I am trying to take it all in but some observations can be made without it being to quick a judgement.  Bogota is a city of contrast.  I am sure that is coming from my very suburban American point of view.  But when you have the busy very metropolitan city such as Bogota around you, the contrast of the horse and cart on the highway is striking! It is a common occurrence and even at night you can hear the horse and cart pass our hotel, right after the garbage truck finishes emptying its load.

It is a busy, noisy city and a few nights Trifon has been irritated by the dogs barking or the airplanes flying overhead.  But overall the noise hasn't bothered me.  For those of you that know me, I always seem to like a little background noise (my radio or tv on at all times).  I certainly don't feel like I missing anything with all the business going on!

We have been off to a few meetings at the Embassy and it is all pretty standard stuff.  Though the medical briefing mentioned that loss of appetite and fatigue are signs of altitude adjustment, both of which I think I am suffering from.  There is no malaria here in Bogota, but at lower elevations there is and prophylaxis recommended for 800meters and lower.

The kids like the Embassy, mostly because there is a very nice little playground with lots of dirt right outside of Ray's office.  The last time we where there there was another girl playing the same age as Trifon.  They having just arrived around the same time as us.  Trifon and the girl were fast friends.  I do believe that Trifon definitely was glad to play with someone who spoke English!

He is a little resistant to learning the language though.  My sponsor here is out of town for a while and has been kind enough to lend us her maid/nanny.  Of course Senora Irma speaks no English.  She has been immensely helpful and I certainly like her a lot.  Especially now that we are figuring out the communication issue (that is my Spanish is getting better and I love google translate!).  Anyways, I went out yesterday to start our apartment search and left the kids with her.  While Georgia barely speaks any intelligible words, I was most worried about Trifon.  She said he was very good and I think he understands her enough to not freak out.  Anyways, I think am thinking that once we get settled, I will look for a Spanish only Jardin (or preschool).

Of course the running joke in the family is that Trifon will have his southern Georgia accent, Georgia will speak with a Spanish accent.  She certainly will pick it up quickly.  In fact she has never said the word milk.  But 2 days ago she uttered the word "Leche".    What a great gift to give to my children, that of a second language.

We only saw 2 apartment yesterday and the first one was a show stopper.  In the nice part of town where a lot of embassy personal live.  Floor to ceiling windows for the length of the living area overlooking the city and the mountains.  The elevator opens to the foyer.  The master closet I could live in, with built in dressers and shoe racks in fine wood.  Brand new and never lived in, I could certainly make this first apartment work, if it weren't for one thing....it only has 2 bedrooms.  It is still large enough, but we will have to see.  I know lots of you plan on visiting so I really want to have that 3rd bedroom ready to go for you!
The second apartment was much larger but much much older and needed too much work.  In a busier part of town, it was definitely not something I would consider in the running.  So more searching next week.  I am almost ready to get settled!

Anyway, I should post more often so these things don't go on forever.  But I like to make sure I have something to talk about and then I end up talking too much as usual.  Love you all and have a great weekend!
Lindsay

No comments:

Post a Comment