Sunday, July 3, 2011

Sunday as it should be

So we have been here three whole days now, and as we get settled it is starting to sink in.  Well at least for me it is.  We went to the Embassy's 4th of July party yesterday, and while it was smaller than previous years (we were told) it was still a nice affair.  The kids especially liked the petting zoo and the bounce houses.  There was free McDonald's too!

It was my first time on any American Embassy, and it seems like it is a rather large one.  I met many people who have young children and are in the same situation as us.  It is nice and I think that people really start 'families' here.  That is, they depend on each other and take newcomers in with welcome arms.

We went out with some of Ray's new co-workers last night after the embassy party.  We went to....wait for it....TGIFriday's.  Yes I know, but I guess it is a pretty popular place over here even if it is a dying restaurant in the states.  The area that this and many of the other popular restaurants are in is just BEAUTIFUL.  There was a great park that we went to afterwards to let all the kids play.  There must have been 20 other families there, kids enjoying the outside, playing in the sand while the sun set.  It was a prefect end to a great day!

The family that we went out with last night is having a BBQ at their home outside the city.  They are Colombian but work for the Army Corps of Engineers and they have two children, older than ours.  I am looking forward to seeing the country side and let Trifon and Georgia run around the 'farm' (but I think it actually may be a farm).

They have really taken us in, in fact she is getting me some toys for my kids to play with till we get settled in our apartment with all of our toys and she is also lending me her double stroller (ours is also on its way).

Anyways, the biggest and best thing that has happened here is that we found the Greek Orthodox Church.  It is VERY close to our hotel and we scoped it out yesterday and thought we would see if it was open today.

We started our walk and I was skeptical that there would be a service today, but as we got closer I started to here the familiar tones of byzantine chant.  We walked in and it was as it should be.  The smells, the sounds, the sights.  This is why I love Orthodoxy!  You can walk into any Orthodox church in the world and be home!  This is exactly what I felt!  We were HOME!  This is OUR church!
The priest and the chanter had the MOST beautiful voices, and Trifon has been singing church songs since we left.  No choir, but the two of them made the church sound so full of the beautiful hymns.
There were about 17 people total there, more than I expected.  One other young family.  The service was in mainly Spanish with some Greek thrown in for good measure.  My Greek and Spanish are about on equal levels, so next week I will bring my liturgy book!
The kids took communion and the priest asked for Georgia's name in Spanish.  Then after she received communion he said "bravo pethalkimou" which loosely translated in my bad Greek mean good girl or doll or something like that....
We didn't stick around this Sunday to meet anyone, the kids are still out of sorts.  But with it being so close there is no excuse!  We are sure to go back next Sunday!  Blessed week to all!
Love Lindsay

No comments:

Post a Comment